Friday, June 19, 2015

Weekend porridge


Recently I wrote about the demise of my breakfast routine after the birth of my gorgeous twins. I can now report that normality is returning. This is fortunate because it's porridge season and I love a warm bowl of porridge on a Saturday or Sunday morning. It's like waking up to a big warm tastebud hug. Sometimes we get all fancy and make a five grain mix that includes triticale and rolled rice, but I'm equally happy with plain old oats and an unhealthily large topping of brown sugar.

How do you cook your porridge? I have become quite habitual with my method, which I learnt from that King of Sydney breakfasts, Bill Granger. It goes a little like this:

Oats soaked in an equal quantity of boiling water for ten minutes then cooked with an equal quantity of milk, stirring over medium heat until thick and delicious.

1 part oats + 1 part boiling water + 1 part milk = 3 parts chilly Saturday morning deliciousness

What's your winter weekend breakfast ritual?






No comments:

Post a Comment